Guaifenesin (Mucinex) is the expectorant typically found in most OTC cold medications. Its use appears to be safe during pregnancy, with the exception of the first trimester.
What expectorant can I take while pregnant?
If you need an expectorant, guaifenesin may be used, but should be avoided in the first trimester (Mucinex, Duratuss G, Robitussin, Scot-Tussin). Avoid prolonged use and combination products with ingredients you don’t need.
Is Mucinex expectorant safe during pregnancy?
Mucinex is likely safe to take while breastfeeding and during the second and third trimesters of pregnancy. Before taking any medication while pregnant or breastfeeding, it’s a good idea to talk to your doctor first.
Can you take guaifenesin while pregnant?
Robitussin DM is a cough remedy containing guaifenesin to loosen mucus and dextromethorphan, a medication to suppress coughing. Both ingredients are safe to use during pregnancy.
What can I take for cough and congestion while pregnant?
Safe options include: plain cough syrup, such as Vicks. dextromethorphan (Robitussin; category C) and dextromethorphan-guaifenesin (Robitussin DM; category C) cough syrups. cough expectorant during the day.
How do I get rid of congestion while pregnant?
To ease congestion and other symptoms of pregnancy rhinitis:
- Drink plenty of hydrating fluids.
- Elevate your head with extra pillows when you lie down to rest or sleep.
- Take a warm shower and linger in the steamy bathroom. …
- Try saline nose drops or saline nasal spray, available over the counter at drugstores.
How do I break up mucus in my chest while pregnant?
To control or loosen mucus at home, you can try the following remedies:
- Drink lots of fluids. Drink plenty of water and other fluids, but not things that can dehydrate you, such as coffee and alcohol.
- Humidify. …
- Don’t smoke or vape anything. …
- Try a teaspoon of honey.
Can you take Mucinex cold and flu while pregnant?
Expectorants like Mucinex, cough suppressants like Robitussin, vapor rubs like Vicks VapoRub, and cough drops are all considered safe during pregnancy.
What pregnancy category is Mucinex?
Guaifenesin is considered pregnancy category C.
What meds are OK to take while pregnant?
Which Medications Are Safe During Pregnancy?
- Safe to take: Regular and extra-strength Tylenol (acetaminophen)
- Safe to take: Metamucil, Colace, Citracel, Milk of Magnesia, Dulcolax.
- Safe to take: Tums, Maalox, Mylanta, Pepcid.
- Safe to take: Penicillin.
- Safe to take: Monistat, Gynelotrimin.
Does Mucinex cause birth defects?
Over-the-counter medicines, including phenylephrine and pseudoephedrine (which are commonly used in products like Afrin, Mucinex, Sudafed, Dristan, etc.) are linked to rare birth defects of the digestive tract, ear and heart.
Can coughing hurt the baby while pregnant?
Does coughing during pregnancy harm the baby? Coughing during pregnancy doesn’t harm the baby, as it isn’t a dangerous symptom and the baby doesn’t feel it.
Does being sick while pregnant affect the baby?
If you have flu while you’re pregnant, it could mean your baby is born prematurely or has a low birthweight, and can even lead to stillbirth or death in the first week of life. Getting the flu vaccine is safe during any stage of pregnancy, from the first few weeks up to your expected due date.
How can I boost my immune system while pregnant?
How to Boost Immune System When Pregnant
- Eat Well. You can naturally boost your immune system by eating a healthy diet high in fruits, vegetables and protein, and low in sugar and other refined carbohydrates. …
- Stay Hydrated. …
- Get Plenty of Rest.