If your daughter complains of a sore bottom or is scratching her genital area, she may have vulvovaginitis, an inflammation of the vulva and vagina. It’s the most common gynecologic problem in young girls (particularly school-age girls), though it can occur at any age.
Why does my toddler keep itching her private area?
Most vaginal itching or discomfort is due to soaps irritating the vulval skin. This could be from bubble bath, shampoo, shower gel or soap that is left on the genital area. Occasionally it is due to poor hygiene (such as wiping from back to front instead of front to back).
How is vulvovaginitis treated in toddlers?
Treatment for Vulvovaginitis
- Urinate with knees spread apart. …
- Teach your child to wipe from front to back after bowel movements and urination.
- Take a bath, not a shower, every day.
- Do not use bubble bath in the bathtub.
- Do not shampoo your child’s hair in the bathtub.
- Avoid irritation.
Why is my toddlers private area red?
Redness around the vagina
It’s often caused by constrictive clothing, poor wiping techniques or sensitivity to soap. Who gets it Preschool-to prepubescent-aged girls. “Low estrogen levels make them most vulnerable,” explains Blaichman.
Why does my daughters privates hurt at night?
Occasionally your daughter’s vulva might be itchy if she has eczema or a skin condition called lichen sclerosis, which also affects the vulva. If your daughter has lots of itchiness and pain that is worse at night in bed, it might be because of worms. Vulvovaginitis symptoms often come and go.
What does a yeast infection look like in a little girl?
redness, swelling, or itching of the vulva (the folds of skin outside the vagina) a thick, white discharge that can look like cottage cheese and is usually odorless, although it might smell like bread or yeast. pain or burning when urinating (peeing) or during sex.
Why do toddlers privates smell?
This smell is due to bacteria, sweat, and hormone changes. And as long as your child doesn’t have any other signs of puberty, and they’re under the age of eight, it’s not a concern.
How do you clean a toddler girl’s private area?
- With clean fingers, gently separate your baby’s vaginal lips.
- Use a moist cotton pad, a clean, dampened cloth, or a fragrance-free baby wipe to clean the area from front to back, down the middle.
- Clean each side within her labia with a fresh damp cloth, moist cotton pad, or fragrance-free baby wipe.
How do I know if my toddler has a yeast infection?
Our pediatrician told us that some telltale signs that it’s a yeast infection and not diaper rash are:
- It doesn’t get any better with diaper rash cream.
- The irritation is in the front and symmetrical on both sides where the skin touches (thigh creases or skin folds).
Why does my toddler say it hurts to pee?
If bacteria get into your child’s bladder, they can cause a bladder infection. The medical word for a bladder infection is cystitis. When bacteria are in the bladder, they can irritate the bladder. The irritation makes it hurt when your child urinates.
Can toddlers get thrush down below?
How do I know if my child has thrush? It is very rare for children to get thrush before they start menstruating, so vaginal or vulval itching is not likely to be thrush. Vulvovaginitis is more likely.
How do I know if my child has worms?
You can spot worms in your poo. They look like pieces of white thread. You might also see them around your child’s bottom (anus). The worms usually come out at night while your child is sleeping.
Less common signs of worms include:
- weight loss.
- wetting the bed.
- irritated skin around the anus.